The second stint of Cristiano Ronaldo at Manchester United has come to and end, as confirmed by the Premier League club.
Both parties agreed to split after the former world footballer of the year criticized the club in a scathing TV interview. United said last week that it had "initiated appropriate steps" in response to Ronaldo’s remarks.
"Cristiano Ronaldo is to leave Manchester United by mutual agreement, with immediate effect," a short statement began.
"The club thanks him for his immense contribution across two spells at Old Trafford, scoring 145 goals in 346 appearances, and wishes him and his family all the best for the future.
"Everyone at Manchester United remains focused on continuing the team's progress under Erik ten Hag and working together to achieve success on the field."
On Monday, Ronaldo addressed the timing of the interview in a press conference at Portugal’s training base in the outskirts of Doha.
"The timing for me is my timing," Ronaldo said. "I don’t have to worry about what others think. I am totally convinced this won’t have any influence on the national team.
"Every player, manager, president and kit man, they all know who I am, what I think. They know me since I was 11 years old. They won’t be influenced by what people say or write."
Ronaldo’s pursuit, possibly his final one, of a World Cup title begins Thursday against Ghana.
He appeared on "Piers Morgan Uncensored" and said he felt "betrayed" by United and claimed senior officials have tried to force him out. He was left off the squad for the team’s match against Fulham. He also commented on having "no respect" for the team's Manager, Erik ten Hag.